Total Pageviews

Friday, July 27, 2012

Divine Intervention

I don't know about you, but I hear a lot of others talk about how such-and-such a thing was "divine intervention". Up until this week, I'd only had what I considered divine intervention twice in my life and that was twice in the same year. The first was when I called Sonya for the first time to hang out. Her phone didn't even ring because at that exact same time, she was picking up the phone to call me. You have to understand we barely knew each other. We were in the same french class, but sat on opposite sides of the room. We were in Concert Choir, but she was an alto and I was a soprano. We didn't have mutual friends. We didn't go to church together. The only reason we had each other's number was that a year before, she had asked me to help her learn her part for choir.

The second time was at the end of my senior year in high school. I was driving home from school with my brother, who had somehow managed to fall asleep in that short amount of time. A car had been tailing me the whole drive, so he didn't see my blinker or brake lights when I went to turn on my street. He hit my rear going 45 mph and I was shoved straight toward a ditch. I pushed harder on the brake, to stop us. When we finally came to a stop, my brother woke up and we were somehow right beside the ditch rather than in it. The car was totalled and I got severe whiplash (causing me to wear a brace to graduation and giving me a twitch that I still have to this day), but my brother was uninjured and my injuries would have been much worse if we had crashed into the ditch.

On Sunday this week, Bear had two bumps show up on her shoulders. I dismissed them as bug bites. On Tuesday, she had two more, I still dismissed them. She plays a lot outside. However, on Wednesday morning, she had several bumps along the top of her back, a few more on the left of her back, two under her armpit, one on her tummy, and one behind her leg. This concerned me, so I called to make an appointment with her doctor. The only time she had available was 4:00, which worked out nicely because Julie was giving me a ride and wouldn't be back until around 3:00. At lunch, she only had a few bites of Mac n' cheese and I couldn't get her to drink after her chocolate milk she had at 8:00 that morning. She wanted Lewis to hold her, but she didn't want to play. She took her nap an hour early. When she woke up, she turned on her mobile and just laid there silent. She didn't call for me or start playing with her toys. When I came in and turned the light on, she didn't stand up to greet me. I went over to her and asked if she wanted to get up. She said "yeah," so I picked her up. Hot with fever, limp. I tried sitting her down and she didn't want to separate from me. So I laid her on top of me on the couch and took her temperature. 101.4. She cuddled with me until Julie got back (around an hour); unusual because she's not a cuddler.

We rushed to her doctor who promptly sent us on to the ER at Seattle Children's Hospital when her temp was 102.4, her HR was 204, and her breathing was a bit low. Just as we were getting ready to go, Bear threw up what little she had eaten and drank that day. Rushed to the ER where they did every test in the book and started pumping fluids through an IV. Just as we thought she was getting better, she started shaking severely and threw up again. We were admitted. Through the rest of the night, they continued giving her fluids and checking her vitals. When the doctor came to look at her in the morning, it turns out the illness and "rash" were separate things. The rash was actually bug bites. She has some virus that was wreaking havoc on her body.

Had she not had all those bites, she would not have been able to get into her doctor's until the next day. Had she not gone to the doctor's we would not have gone to the ER until the shaking (around 11:30 PM). It would have been much worse than it ended up being. Why did the bugs decide she was a buffet when she hasn't had any bites so far this summer? Divine Intervention.

God cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment